Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Alejandro

What do you do with a man who is destined to cross paths with you? And then disappears?

Several years ago, a fortune teller told me that I would meet my husband somewhere in the U.S. en route to some sort of conference or meeting...or something like that. But he wouldn't be American, would speak great English, be a dr, in his 40's and divorced.

So imagine my annoyance when my flight was delayed in Newark and I had no way to contact my seven months' pregnant friend who was waiting for me in London. With mounting desperation, I approached a man who was busily working on his computer and asked to borrow it to send an e-mail--something I would be mortified to do almost under any other circumstance. Graciously, he closed out of about 20 windows andoffered to let me use his phone to call as well. I then realized that he looked like George Clooney, and after chatting for a bit, that we lived in the same country. And that he had a PhD, was divorced, in his late 40's, speaks good English, and was from Argentina. Interesting.

After the flight, he helped me with my bags and asked if I was taking the train into London. When I answered yes, he told me that he would wait for me. We had a lovely ride (although my friends wondered why it took me three hours to get from the airport to their place and why I rode the Tube instead of the Express!)

Once we arrived back home, it took several months for our schedules to synch up. When we finally met up, he drove into the capital and we had a terrific dinner . He was kind, sophisticated, gently teasing, worldy, handsome, courtly. He even ordered for me for dinner.

So does that make him old-school...or just old?

Well, either way, he has completely disappeared. He did so courteously-- he sent me an e-mail telling me that his schedule has completely shifted and that it looks bad until the end of the year. As my Brazilian love advisor told me, "He's either full of sh*t, or he's genuine-- it could go either way."

No comments:

Post a Comment